Thursday, October 21, 2004

One Hundred Years of Solitude

11/3/04 Book Group Selection - postponed
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060531045/qid=1098407357/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-0016964-1934333?v=glance&s=books

Took me a long time to finish this book. Not my favorite. Too many words and I wonder about the quality of the translation. I had a difficult time keeping all the characters straight since they all had similar names throughout the generations.

My favorite parts were before the modern world started to infringe on the village. I enjoyed the gypsies and the history of why the location of the village was selected. As soon as the revolution started, I lost interest.

I enjoyed the mystical parts, but after awhile I just wanted it to end. Once the original generation died, I wasn't interested in what happened to their descendants.

Other books it reminded me of were Like Water for Chocolate and House of the Spirits. I would recommend these over One Hundred Years of Solitude.

No comments: