Saturday, February 23, 2008

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott & March - Geraldine Brooks

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

March - Geraldine Brooks

I've been wanting to read March for a long time and started it a couple weeks ago. It's the story of the father of the Little Women. As I read the first few pages, I realized that I should probably to back and read Little Women first. Luckily, we had a copy of Little Women and I got right to work.

I'd highly recommend it to adolescent girls and newlywed women. It is such a sweet story full of excellent advice on how to get along in a family and with a spouse. Such a sweet story.

I was disappointed with March; the author represented the father much differently than Louisa May Alcott did. It was Brooks' intention to 'humanize' him and show his flaws (and his wife's), but the original author chose not to show that side of him. For me, it took away from the sweet lessons in Little Women. Yes, people are complex and we don't always show what we are thinking, but I didn't want to know about that side of the Marches. Read this review.

Well written, but Little Women was tarnished.

No comments: