I've enjoyed sharing menu ideas and have enjoyed some good food. Here's some ideas for the coming week.
Lentil and Spinach Warm salad.
This is one of my favorites I got from Martha Stewart. Delicioius and easy and all in one meal.
1 quart of water
1/2 cup lentils
1 carrot finely chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 dried bay leaf
Coarse salt and peppper
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces baby spinach
Most of the time I double this recipe of feeding four. The recipe above is good for two.
1. in a large saucepan, combine lentils, carrots, onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer partially covered until lentils are soft. 15-20 min. Drain discarding bay leaf
2. use a paper towel to wipe out any water from the saucepan. Add oil and return pan to medium heat. Stir in the lentils, vegetables and spinach.
3. Cook stirring occasionally until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning. use a slotted spoon to transfer to bowls.
1 pound purchased pizza dough. ( I got whole wheat dough at winco)at room temperature
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzy
1/2 c pesto
1 cup cooked broccoli
1 cup cooked chicken
(about 4 oz)olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 on a lightly floured surface divide dough into four equal piecesusig a lightly floured rolling pin roll each piece into a 6 inch round. if dough shrinks let it restabout 5 minutes and roll again
2. Divide mozzy among the dough rounds then top equally with pesto, broccoli and chicken
3. Gently pull half dough over filling to make a half moon shape. pinch edges to seal Brush tops lightly sith olive oil. Tranfer to large baking sheet
4.Bake calzones on middle rack until golden brown 20-25 minutes. let cool 5 min then transfer to plates Serve with tossed salad with pesto ranch dressing. Just add a little bit of your pesto to your ranch dressing.I get the pesto at Costco. I freeze in small containters and that way it keeps longer. It actullay freezes quite well.
Since we have the pesto lets try a hearty soup. Serve with our famous crusty 5 min bread. yeah!
Tomato soup with chickpeas and pesto
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups water
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
3 (5.5 oz cans) V8 juice
1 (15 1/2 oz) can chickpeas (garbonzos) drained
1 (28 0z) can finely chopped tomatoes undrained
1/3 cup uncokked ditalini (very short tube shaped macaroni)
1/3 c pesto
1. Heat oil in soup pan. Add onion and celery. Cover and cook 15 min stirring occasionally
2. Add water and next 5 ingredients (water through chickpeas) bring to boil.
3. Add pasta. Cover and reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Stir in pesto and serve.
This is one of my favorite pasta recipes. It sounds odd but the mixing of these flavors is awesome
8 oz Angel Hair pasta
1 T oil from tomatoes
1 lb skinless chicken breast ( or drained tofu cut 1/3 inch thick in square)
1 t each of salt and pepper
1/2 med red onion sliced in thin rings
1 6 oz bag baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup golden raisens
3/4 cup undraind Sun dried tomatoes in oil
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Cook pasta reserving 1/4 cup water.
Heat oil in very large skillet over med high heat. Brown tofu or chicken with salt and pepper. 5-6 minutes ( longer for tofu, probably 10 min on med heat)
Reduce heat to med. add onion, cover and cook 2 minutes or until softened.
Add tomatoes, spinach and raisens. stir until spinach is wilted.
Stir in pasta, pinenuts and reserved water as needed to moisten. Serves 4